People are inclined to look at the visible end result. Is baby walking already?…
You probably have a global idea of what brains are for. But there are many interesting facts you probably were not aware of.
What is really amazing about your baby brain
- The brain grows more during the first two years of life than in any other year.
- The brain doubles in volume during the first year.
- By the age of one, the brain is already 60% of the volume of an adult brain!
- In the womb, the brain grows faster than any other organ.
- During pregnancy there are times when your baby produces no fewer than 250,000 neurons and brain cells per minute!
- Recent research has shown that all brain cells are present at birth! Some researchers believe that almost all neurons are present.
- Some studies demonstrate that the brain is fully grown at 18 years old, others state 22 years.
- The brain contains 100 billion neurons and 100 billion glial cells.
- The more and stronger the connections between the brain cells, the better the brain functions.
- If you blink your eyes the whole world does not go completely dark. That is because your brain continually ‘shines a light on it’.
- Your brain is shaken awake by yawning. The yawn sends a rush of oxygen to your brain, cooling it down and thus shaking it awake.
- Your brain uses 10 to 23 Watts when awake. In other words: enough to power a light bulb!
- Men and women’s brains respond differently to pain.
- There are 1,000,000 neurons in a piece of brain tissue that is the size of a grain of salt.
- The brain is the fattest organ of all and contains 60% fat.
- Your brain uses 20% of all our oxygen.
- The information transported in our brain, reaches a speed of approximately 268 miles per hour.
- The brain cannot feel pain.
- The brain consists of 100 trillion neurons.
- The brain is actually king and master: it determines and arranges everything for the whole body.